What Food Should We Eat During Pregnancy?
During pregnancy your unborn baby gets all the nutrients they need to grow and develop from you. So, to ensure that you and your baby stay healthy and strong during this exciting period, it is important that you eat a healthy,balanced diet.
Our food pyramid
Our food pyramid can be used as a helpful guideline for working out whether you are eating enough of the different food groups that make up a healthy diet.
Top tips for a healthy diet
- Choose a variety of foods from each of the different food groups to make sure you’re getting a good balance
- Ask your doctor about extra supplements if you’re worried you’re not eating from a particular food group
- Have 3 regular meals and 2 to 3 light snacks a dayInclude generous helpings of fruits and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and beans to increase your fibre intakeDrink water regularly – at least 8 glasses a day
- Include other drinks in your diet such as low-fat milk, fresh fruit juices and soup
- Eat one portion of oily fish and one portion of white fish each week (but avoid shark, swordfish and marlin)
- Use vegetable oils such as corn, olive and sunflower oil in your cooking, but use them sparingly
- Limit your intake of processed and preserved foods as they usually contain high levels of salt
- Reduce your caffeine intake to no more than 4 cups a day
- Limit your intake of sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits, fats, oils, and sugar. These all provide extra calories but not much of the nutritional value that you and your baby need. Over-indulging now means it will be harder to regain your pre-pregnancy figure afterwards, so try to resist dipping into the biscuit tin too often!
Disclaimer: All content on this Website is provided solely for informational purposes and is not intended as a substitute for medical and/or other professional advice for your specific condition. Please do not disregard medical and/or other professional advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this Website. Always seek medical advice before starting any new treatments.
Ask Our Careline
Whatever’s on your mind, we’re here to help
Mothers in Singapore place greater confidence and trust in the Dumex Dugro® brand that they choose.