Mac and Cheese with Tomatoes
No-added-salt No-added-egg Vegetarian
- Cooking spray
- 8 plum tomatoes (about 900 g) cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 450 g uncooked multigrain whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cupshredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
Stove or oven method:
Preheat oven to 200°C or 400 F.
Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat foil with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle oil on tomatoes. Sprinkle thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, and garlic. Bake at 200°C for 35 minutes or until tomatoes start to dry out.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
Place flour in a large cooking pot; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add cheddar, fontina, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and pasta.
Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine grated Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake at 200°C or 400F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
For baby: Omit black pepper. Serve spoonfuls in a small bowl. Cut the tomatoes and macaroni, if needed, into bite-sized pieces.
Milk and cheese make this recipe rich in calcium. You can also replace with milder cheddar cheese.
FREE Dumex Mamil® Gold Stage 3
- Higher* in Immunity^ Nutrients
- DHA as high as 75mg per 100g>
- Naturally Sourced. No GMO and colourings
FREE Dumex Dugro® Stage 3
- Higher* DHA & Calcim
- As low as $1
- Sucrose Free
Ask Our Careline
Whatever’s on your mind, we’re here to help