Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Dairy-free No-added-salt No-added-egg
- 4 tsp cornstarch, divided
- 5 tsp low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 2 x 12 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chilli paste (omit for baby)
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 cup (1/2 inch) diced onion
- 1 cup (1/2 inch) diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup (1/2 inch) diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 inch) slices green onions
- 1 cup (1/2 inch) diced fresh pineapple
*4 adult servings
Stove or oven method:
Combine 2 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce, and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken; stir well to coat. Set aside.
Combine broth, remaining 2 tsp cornstarch, remaining 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, and next 4 ingredients.
Heat 1/2 tsp canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and next 3 ingredients to pan; saute 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a bowl.
Heat remaining 2 1/2 tsp canola oil in pan. Add chicken mixture to pan, and spread in an even layer; cook, without stirring, 1 minute. Saute an additional 3 minutes or until chicken is done.
Return vegetable mixture to pan. Add soy sauce mixture and pineapple, stirring well to combine. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly.
This oriental favourite can be prepared for the whole family. Simply omit the chilli paste, cut a piece of chicken and a spoonful of vegetables into small pieces for your toddler. Serve on a small serving of rice.
FREE Dumex Mamil® Gold Stage 3
- Higher* in Immunity^ Nutrients
- DHA as high as 75mg per 100g>
- Naturally Sourced. No GMO and colourings
FREE Dumex Dugro® Stage 3
- Higher* DHA & Calcim
- As low as $1
- Sucrose Free
Ask Our Careline
Whatever’s on your mind, we’re here to help